Sunday, January 26, 2020

Importance of Community

I was reflecting on the idea of community and came across the following article that I found thought provoking:

https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/November-2019/The-Importance-of-Community-and-Mental-Health

For me, community is made up of two main components: commonality and network.

When I think of a community, I think of a unit that helps to promote or support a common goal. The unit itself is fluid. What I mean by that is we flow into and out of communities at different stages in our life. We are a part of many communities in our personal, educational, spiritual, and professional lives.

Humans naturally have a desire to belong and feel accepted. That feeling of belonging to a community is essential to mental health. Being part of a community allows us to be a part of something bigger and often times more important than ourselves.

Currently Reading: Fruit of the Drunken Tree by Ingrid Rojas Contreras
#2020readingchallenge


No comments:

Post a Comment